Thursday, April 4, 2013

When Was Your Birthday Again?

April 1st! I am now officially 21-years-old! Whoohoo for legal drinking! (just ignore all the pictures and posts including glasses of wine previous to April 1st, 2013. lol.) Now, even though it's my spring break, it wasn't for everyone so since my birthday fell on a Monday, I decided to have my party the Friday before. And whilst I love me some pastels and all things pretty and spring-like, I figured the big Two-One deserved some special attention and I needed to think outside of the box. 

Soooo..... here are some pics from my Roaring 20's Speakeasy Soiree!


“...the New Woman of the 1920s boldly asserted her right to dance, drink, smoke, and date—to work her own property, to live free of the strictures that governed her mother’s generation... She flouted Victorian-era conventions and scandalized her parents. In many ways, she controlled her own destiny.” 
― Joshua Zeitz 





















On the Menu:
-Garlic Pesto Spaghetti
-Spring Salad 
-Miniature Lemon Crab Cakes
-Avocado Deviled Eggs
-Mini Sandwich Triangles (Turkey & Cheese and PB&J)
-Veggie Platter with Ranch
-Lemon Cupcakes with Butter-cream Frosting
-Crackers & Chips with Goat Cheese & Hummus


The set up, complete with card tables and clue (because it was easier than actually putting together a murder mystery) and the Great Gatsby playing silently whilst the sounds of Electro-Swing filled the air. When guests entered and gave the correct password ("Shwasted") they were given poker chips so they could bet against each other, the person with the most chips at the end of the night winning shot glasses with card suits on them.



I figured since the party was still a few days before my actual birthday, meaning I was still technically underage, Prohibition was the way to go since it's a party to celebrate my being able to booze it up but still keeping it on the down low from the po'po'! And now that I'm a real adult, I get to get shwasted in a more classy manner, complete with pearls and flapper dresses, Martinis and Manhattans, and all that jazz.







Dress - Goodwill
Everything else I already had in my closet from collecting over the years