Saturday, March 16, 2013

What's the "Fashion District"?





Oh, you don't know? Well. One of the many benefits of living in LA is that the Fashion District is just a short drive downtown (and by short I mean at least 45 minutes in good traffic and if the Parking Fairy likes you). My new roommate is working on a commercial and needed to go get some fabric so I, having a car and no classes on Monday, decided I'd go with her and maybe do just a little bit of shopping while she did some business-y stuff. I didn't plan on walking more than 10 blocks in pretty much every direction from where we parked, stopping at Home Depot with creepy old guys standing in line behind us, or having a picnic at Ralph's on an usually hot March day. Now I know, for future visits, to NOT wear heels, not even little flowery kitten heels, because I now have terrifyingly huge blisters on each of my big toes. Ouch. But it turned out to be a really fun day! 




For those of you who don’t know, the Fashion District is a design, warehouse, and distribution smorgasbord of the clothing, accessories and fabric industry in Downtown Los Angeles. Spanning 90 blocks, basically it’s the center of all of your fashion needs, with indoor and outdoor vendors, shops & stands selling designer (and sometimes knockoff or counterfeit (careful!)) merchandise. There are block-long sections for shoes, purses, clothes, specific designers – you name it. There’s even a little area devoted to just fabric,where I spent most of the day. They buy hundreds of rolls of material in bulk and sell it super cheap. The whole area itself is definitely meant for the haggler, so the more you go the better you’ll hone in on those negotiation skills!




I ended up paying maybe $15 for all of this (and already started on a project which I'll be posting in the near future!)



     And as if I didn't look stupid enough walking around the Fashion District in heels, and because my roommate needed a few more things for her job, we ended up at Home Depot. Of course, being a fan of Legally Blonde, I decided to channel my inner Elle Woods and instead of feeling embarrassed and overdressed in a place I probably don't belong, I decided to rock that shit. 






Dress - Goodwill
Cardigan & Shoes - Forever 21
Glasses - V Generation
Canvas Bag - Cotton On